Friday, March 9, 2007

Rogue Squadron, This is Red Five - I'm Goin' In


I like science fiction. I like shooting things. I like flight combat games. I like Bosconian. But I f'ing LOVE Star Wars. And I have really been missing some good ol' space shooters. In response to Destructoid's wonderful editorial about the lack there of, I want to add my two cents on the issue.

Factor 5 developed the Rogue Squadron series and has since departed from Nintendo and the Star Wars franchise to develop a game called Lair for the PS3 - which I will never play, unless somebody wants to buy me a PS3. This is a bummer because I can't see any other developer handling a Star Wars space shooter as well as these guys did.

Star Wars aside, there aren't any space shooters in the mix of upcoming games. There aren't any Panzer Dragoon games coming any time soon, either. As much as I love returning to these games, I must admit I have been spoiled by the glitter of "next-gen." Developers, please, recognize this genre and make some damn games.

Indeed, it is a grim time for fans of (non-WWII) flight shooters...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a grim time indeed!

And, would someone please explain to me why chase-view has become the standard in space combat sims? Do the animators fall in love with their character models so much that they think I need to spend the entire game looking at it?

Check out the pic in your article? Is that you water-skiing behind your X-Wing?

I would rather pilot the thing.

Nothing has come close to FreeSpace 2.

Resurrect Interplay Studios, please.