Thursday, December 7, 2006

Sony: the Door to Door Salesman


Why am I always reminded of Stan from Monkey Island when I hear from Sony? Sony says all of my DVDs are worthless because they aren't Blu-ray. Sony says that if I want the new PLAYSTAION 3 (Sony also said I need to write that in all caps), I must purchase a Blu-ray player with it...even though I have a 21-inch TV and virtually no income. However, Microsoft gave me the choice whether to buy their version of the next-gen DVD player, and their console is $200 cheaper because of that.

Sony says rumble in controllers isn't a big deal. Sony is wrong. About a great. Many. Things. Return of the Jedi references never felt so at home.

Let's talk about games. I know that most launch games aren't very special or even very polished. Halo and Super Mario 64 are a couple rare exceptions. But looking beyond the PS3's launch lineup still leaves much to be desired. Most of the best games coming out in 2007 for Sony's console will also show up on the 360: Resident Evil 5, Assassin's Creed, Half-Life 2/Portal/Team Fortress (edit: now Half-Life 2: Orange), Grand Theft Auto IV, etc. Even Armored Core 4 is headed for the 360. Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably the only 'big one' that will be PS3 exclusive (at least for 2007), and personally I think it'll eventually make it's way to Microsoft's white console.

Sony says I need an internet browser. Sony says they have a better online service than the well-established Xbox Live. Hey Sony, go ahead and transfer my XBL friends list over to your online service. Wait, doesn't that mean that all of my friends have to buy $600 PS3s? See if you can transfer my gamerpoints and achievements while you're at it.

Bah humbug, Sony. I laugh at you.

No comments: