Thursday, December 7, 2006

Zelda: To Wii or Not to Wii

This has been a dilemma in my mind ever since Nintendo announced that Zelda would be a launch title for the Wii. Don't get me wrong - I really want a Wii, but there is no rush. I'm just a student trying to finish college and I don't have time for a job right now so $300 for a Wii+Zelda is sounding a little steep. Plus, there are over 70 people in front of me on the Wii reservation list at my local EB Games.

As much as I want a Wii, I want Zelda even more. And it ships next week for a system I picked up back in 2001. Both versions are playable on the Wii. Should I roll with the new?

The Differences: The obvious difference is the controls. The Wii version also has widescreen mode, but I have a standard TV. The problem here is that whichever version I get, I will have to stick with that version for LIFE. This is because the two versions are mirrored - they are horizontally opposite. Shiggy did this so Link would be right-handed on the Wii version, as most people will be waving the sword with their right hand. Link has always been a leftie. Other than that, no major differences.

The Dilemma: I'd like to aim the Wiimote when I use the bow & arrows or the hookshot and I'd like to cast my line and reel it in with the Wii controls. However, I don't really care about shaking the Wiimote to slash my sword. I played the Wind Waker and I loved it. Never did I wish I could magically aim my projectiles. Also, you get C-stick camera control on the Cube version. The game was originally designed with Link being a leftie, and I'd like to think that this is the version that the artists and designers meant for us to play (Nintendo flipped Zelda late in the game's production).

The Decision: Most reviewers said "Don't cheat yourself! Accept the new Wii controls! You will get used to them very quickly!" However, early previews of the 'Cube Zelda praise the ability to manipulate the camera (an ability that has been established ever since Ocarina of Time). As much as I'd love to control Link with the Wiimote, I think I'm going to be playing Zelda well before I buy a Wii. I'll still get to enjoy the Wii controls with other games that are more appropriate for them, such as Tennis or Baseball. TRADITION!

No comments: