Saturday, December 16, 2006

Zelda: Initial Thoughts

Well, I finally tracked down a copy of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the 'Cube and to be honest, at first I was a little disappointed. The first couple hours involve a very feminine Link farting around in a small town where all the men look like women and all the kids look like mongoloids. Actually, there are two guys who look like men, but one of them definitely has down syndrome. And none of them can talk! Of course, they can all type and move their lips at the same time. Good thing I got this for the GameCube, otherwise I'd be ranting about NEXT-GEN VOICE WORK and how it is pretty much required in modern-day games if you want your characters to converse.

Ugh. After exploring the town and meeting its ugly citizens, I saddled up on Epona, the trusty steed. Again, a bit of a let down. The horse in Shadow of the Colossus is way better - Agro is easier to control, has more realistic animations, and is more lifelike in general than Epona. In fact, come to think of it, it's the same for Link vs. Wander. Link just doesn't look and feel as realistic as the wanderer...and at first, he certainly doesn't dress as good. With Link looking like the anime version of a Hanson brother and Epona acting like a spoiled horse with arthritis, I found myself wishing I was playing The Wind Waker instead.

But, I knew that this was still Zelda and I was still in for a treat if I stayed the course. About 3 hours in I finally met Zelda herself, found a worthwhile sword that wasn't made out of wood, and received the classic green outfit - and the Zelda adventure I thirsted for finally began. After playing for about 7 hours, the best way I can describe this version of Zelda is with math: a modern-day remake of Ocarina of Time+Lord of the Rings+Okami. Oh, and that equals awesome.

No comments: